Monday, August 28, 2023

22 weeks

Helloooo everyone, sorry last week got packed! I put too much thought into my emails so I couldnt just bring myself to send one in the last 30 minutes of the day. Especially since there has been so much that has happened!

Recap:
We had an investigator get baptized, and soon after be hospitalized and die before we could give him the gift of the holy ghost. We were devastated, we but it has turned out to be a beautiful blessing in disguise. His wife and 3 kids have started to come to church and were going to ask them to baptism this week. Though it has been so hard for them they have been so strong, and my testimony on the plan of salvation has increased so much, and as a result of a million deep questions about the spirit world I have been blessed to take the time to do an extensive study and learn so much. How beautiful is the grace of God! That everyone gets a chance to hear the gospel. The spirit world is an extension of our second estate here. The work is far from done, and it wont be until the second coming. A true understanding of this doctrine would save any tear over a lost one. And now his wife and kids are going to be able to go to the temple to finish his work. The Lord gave him just enough to be able to plant the seed for his family and give them a beautiful experience and save a whole family.

I am often taken aback by the Lord and his abundance if tender mercies and his love. The more I try to contemplate the complexity of it, and this life, the more frustrated i get haha! I can feel my darn head hitting the veil and i want so badly to just understand it all! I look at the large clouds and the sky and the moon and the stars, and then all the people hustling and bustling around and not knowing why they are here and i just cant grasp it haha! It has led to a lot of deep thoughts on why we are where we were, the life before and the significance of the blessing of the gospel in our lives. We cant comprehend it. The gospel is our only lifeline back to salvation and living in the presence of God for eternity, do we really understand that? Do we even comprehend we are speaking to an eternal loving being lightyears away from us before everytime we start to eat? Is God just this peaceful idea for you in your head or is he a person?

I read a few verses this week in my study of Isaiah this week and it was a song Israel sings for the Lord when he comes. They exclaim we waited for you we waited for you! We knew you would come! It touched my heart, and made me think if we are really waiting for the Lord? Or is he that figment of imagination we lean on when we need stabling. Or are we waiting for the day when he finally comes? Or are we even apprehensive for the day when he will come or what that means for us. If it is the latter then we simply do not understand the prophesies and promises given to us. I have realized that to really realize who God is, and the magnitude of why we are here and to reap the blessings, we need to read the dang scriptures! And hang on every word!

Now knowing the book of Isaiah like the back of my hand, it has almost been a curse haha! Because I speak to so many bible worshipers that dont read the bible that like to call me blasphemist haha! And i instinctively reach for my bible to stop them in their tracks and then i have to stop myself. Because i have learned the spirit does the teaching, not the logic. But it just pains me because there are so many unlearned proud people that i wish i could do something about it. I come up to them and i almost recognize them. Im like, do i know you? I think i've read about you before.

But it has truly helped me to appreciate the beloved holy ghost. We had two lessons this week, where it was quiet, the people listened, they had open minds and hearts, and us missionaries were finally able to use some of the power we hold in the Holy ghost! Explaining the restoration of the gospel and the plan of salvation under these circumstances is something i will not ever forget. Because i can see it on their faces. And its like i can see their spirit recognize me and jump for joy inside them saying, 
Elder Bastian i knew you would come, You told me you would come. And ive been waiting for you.

Do we understand the magnitude of the Gospel in our lives? Surely not. There are people that agreed to come down to this earth knowing the odds, and knowing what circumstances they would be under, and i can see them begging heavenly father to keep pressing on them. They acknowledged that they would be stubborn and begged the father to continue sending them anything he could their way to turn them toward the gospel and the knowledge of him on this earth. So they can complete the goal of why theyre here in the first place. 

Oh the beautifulness of the gospel! Im so blessed to understand it just a little more everyday. I hope you all are true this week to what you came down here to do. That you not only make yourself proud but your father who is keeping his promise to you that he will do everything he needs to do to bring you back to him in the condition you need to he in. Be the clay in the potters hand! And also, read the sealed scriptures that the Lord has given to us 

I love you all

-eb